Friday, June 28, 2013

A new beginning....

Ever since my girlfriend and I broke up back in July 2008, my life felt, meaningless. Empty. Devoid of something. I tried to fill it with stuff. All my money was going to buying things. Stuff I didn't need. That winter I got laid off from my manufacturing position. I went making $12.20 an hour full time to $7.25.... five hours a week. I became helpless, so I allowed my best friend, her boyfriend, and her daughter move into my house. Thinking that the more I had in my home, the better I would feel. Nope.

The fall of 2009 I moved out of my home, which was in the middle of foreclosure, and into my friends apartment, which she no longer lived in. I felt at home there. I cant recall the last time I felt comfortable. I continued to live there until the lease was up at the end of May 2010. From there I moved to my parents.

My parents live in a small 2 bedroom mobile home. After my brother flew the coop, my mom moved into my old bedroom. My parents, knowing this, posed a problem; where was I going to live? The answer was right in their backyard.

My cousin had inherited an old 70's RV from his aunt. Being he still lived at home, and didn't have anyplace to store it, he parked it out at mom and dads. This RV was great inside. Arnie, my cousins aunt, kept very good care of it. It had the typical shower/toilet bathroom, a twin bed at the back, two place sink, stove.oven...  I was skeptical. I have never been in a camper for more than 2 nights over the fourth of July weekend. I spent a good three days cleaning it, top to bottom. It hadn't been lived in or used in almost 6 years. This change had been the best summer I ever recall. I lived in the RV for five months, until the weather started to get colder, and my mother started to worry. I had to find an apartment.

I hate calling people. I don't know why, I just do. So I had my best friend Susan do all my calling. She called about a dozen places. Only about three called back. One, was a dump. An OVERPRICED dump. The other wouldn't even consider me because I didn't make enough. And the third was income based, and we scheduled an interview. We sat down, and got to know each other, and then she handed me the keys. I moved in the next day, the first of November. I loved my apartment. I had just enough to fill it, but not over flow it. Then that spring my dog Peanut ran away from his dog sitter, who didn't tell me he was taken to the pound until it was to late. My life started to unfold, bit by bit. Still single I lost my only companion. I had him since birth. :(

All was well at my apartment. The other tenants loved me, we were all so nice to each other, held holiday dinners in the day room. It was nice. That is until the owner passed away from cancer. It was decided by the family that they would sell our apartment to a management company. That is when I started to HATE my apartment. Sue, our caretaker was great. She would come visit us, just to chat. But these new people, haven't shown their face her once. They sent out letters announcing the takeover, and lease changes, but never came around. My life was already stressed, and overly complex without all this. So, I decided I must simplify my life, and get happy again. It was also about this time that I bought my 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle, named N00ber.

N00ber had taken me places I could only dream about going. He has made me happy. He has given me the opportunity to have friends. To get out of town. And, I feel it was him that guided me to the biggest decision I have ever made. To move into a camper, and live in it full time. I have never researched a subject more, than this, and I feel like this will be something I can do.

With that said, I have 35 hours left in my apartment. All but one truck load has been taken out. Am I nervous? I would be lying if I said no. Will I make it, living in a camper? I don't know. A new chapter starts soon!

Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment